South Australian Housing Trust
- SA Housing Trust Board
- Housing design guidelines
- Housing SA Blueprint
- Rent Reports
- Connecting People to Place
- Housing Trust policies
Pathways Housing Program policy
- The purpose of this policy
- Availability of properties for the program
- Lease agreements
- Managing the tenancy
The purpose of this policy
The Pathway Housing Program provides rental housing for a limited time to eligible households.
This policy sets out:
- how properties are made available to the program
- who is eligible
- how the tenancies are managed.
Availability of properties for the program
South Australian Housing Trust properties may be made available to the program if:
- they are earmarked for redevelopment, major maintenance or sale
- they are hard to let
- they are in areas that would benefit from increased social mix
- it's appropriate to the region's asset and tenancy management needs.
People can't apply for the Pathways Housing Program. Housing SA may refer a person to the program if they are eligible for public housing.
People must also meet all of the below conditions before they can be offered a property:
- they arrange to repay any debt they owe to Housing SA
- the rent for the property is no more than 50% of the total household income before tax
- they have a plan for how they will access alternative housing - eg renting privately, by the end of their lease agreement.
Housing SA will offer the tenant a fixed term lease agreement, also known as the Conditions of Tenancy, for 12 months or less.
Reviewing lease agreements
Housing SA will review the tenancy at least eight weeks before the end of the lease agreement. The review will determine if:
- the lease agreement ends
- they are offered another lease agreement
- they need help into alternative housing - eg help paying bond into private rental accommodation.
Second lease agreements
A second lease agreement will only be offered if all of the below apply:
- the property is still available to the program
- the tenant still meets the eligibility criteria
- the tenant has met the conditions of their lease agreement.
Managing the tenancy
Housing SA manages Pathways Housing Program tenancies in line with other Housing SA policies, including:
Pathways Housing Program rent is set at 75% of the full rent for the property. Tenants aren't eligible for a reduced rent.
Pathways Housing Program tenants can't apply for a transfer. Housing SA may initiate a transfer if:
- there is concern for the household's safety
- the property is needed for other purposes - eg redevelopment.
Related laws, policies and documents
This policy is based on and complies with:
Related policies and other documents
- Fixed term Conditions of Tenancy.
Date this policy applies from
17 May 2016
The online version of the policy is the approved and current version. There is no guarantee that any printed copies are current.